Always a pleasure to reach out to all you lovely people out there. I have received several notes asking to share my routine – in fact that has been on my list ‘to do’ for a while now. So without much ado, here goes:
Presently I am following a “one muscle group per day – twice a week for legs” routine.
- 15 Minutes Warm up on the treadmill
- Standing barbel curls – 3 sets x 12;10;8 reps
- Alternate dumbbell curls – 3 sets x 10; 8; 6 reps
- Close grip (a.k.a narrow grip) bench press – 4 sets x 12;10;8;6 reps
- Dumbbell crossface – 3 sets x 10 reps each
- Cable tricep pressdowns – 4 sets x 12; 10; 8; 6 reps
- Abs: (I don’t do abs ‘everyday’ of the week. Just 3 days a week is just as good)
- Plank: 1 minute x 4 sets.
Cool down with a short stretch and deep breathing.
Tuesday & Friday: Legs Day!
- Warm ups with a full body stretch and 50 jumping jacks.
- Straight Leg deadlifts: 1 warm up set (10-12 reps); 3 working sets (10;8;6 reps)
- (Optional) Lying Leg Curls: 3 sets x 10;10;8 reps [I list this as “optional” because, I sometimes skip it, when I am hard pressed for time. I don’t have a proper leg curl/leg extension machine, so I do this exercise by lying face down on a flat bench and wedging a dumbbell between my toes! – another example of my ‘improvise’ philosophy 🙂]
- Leg extension: 4 sets x 12;10;8;6 reps
- Box Squats: [I do box squats as an alternative to regular squats, because I do not have a power rack OR smith machine in my gym. I do this by using the weight rack on the flat bench (I set the bench one notch below flat – in the decline position) – am seeing some very encouraging results with this.] 1 warm up set; 4 working sets x 10;8;6;4 – my last set is currently at 100kg (220lbs) and I plan to increase that to 105kgs. (231lbs.) over the next 2 weeks.
- Standing Calf Raises: 5 sets x 20 reps
Cool down with deep breathing.
Wednesday: Chest & Abs
10 minute brisk walk on the treadmill.
- Body stretch and floor push ups 2 sets x 30; 20 reps
- Flat bench press 5 sets x 12;10;8;6;4 reps
- Incline Dumbbell press 4 sets x 12;10;8;8 reps
- Dumbbell pullovers 3 sets x 10 reps each.
- Crunches 5 sets x 20 reps.
Cool down with full body stretch & deep breathing.
Thursday: Back & Forearms
Warm up with 10 minutes brisk walk on the treadmill.
- Chin Ups (total of 25 reps – over multiple sets)
- Hyperextension (for lower back strength) 3 sets x 12 reps.
- Deadlift 2 sets heavy 4-6 reps
- Lat Pulldown – 4 sets x 15;12;10;8 reps
- Barbell Reverse Curls: 3 sets x 12;10;8 reps.
Cool Down with full body stretch and deep breathing.
Saturday: Shoulders & Abs
Warm up with 10 minute brisk walk on the treadmill.
- Barbell Shoulder Press 1 set warms; 3 sets x 15;12;10 reps
- Dumbbell Lateral Raises 3 sets x 12; 10; 10 reps
- Upright Barbell Rows 3 sets x 12;10;8 reps
- Seated bent over rear delt raises 3 sets x 12;10;8 reps
- Hanging Leg Raises: 4 sets x 10 reps
- Plank 1 minute x 2 sets
- Crunches 3 sets x 20 reps.
Cool down with Full body stretch and deep breathing.
Sunday: Complete Rest.
Apart from this workout, I also take the below supplements everyday:
- Pre workout: 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard WHEY
- Post workout: 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard WHEY
- At bed time: 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard CASEIN.
I take all of the above mixed with water only. I have also tried using pre workout suppments such as ON AMI.N.O and BSN N.O. Xplode.
So, there it is. At this point, I’d also mention that I like to switch my programs once every 2-2.5 months (roughly 9-10 weeks). Do share your experience/results, in case you want to try this program.