The last month has been truly eventful, in terms of introspection and realization. The short survey that I shared with my friends, has brought to light so many ideas and thoughts, about my blog, that I was completely blind to!
I have been blogging for close to 5 years now, and have always been wondering, why I don’t get the kind of readership, that I should be getting. And here are some of the answers that I got:
- The layout of my blog was not good.
- Nobody liked the color scheme (except myself – but of course!)
- The content was good but since it was too cluttered, most of them preferred to give it a pass.
- More Importantly, it looked like I was trying to accomplish too many different things in there. And that kinda’ defeated the whole purpose of having a blog that is focused
And when I really did some soul searching about the purpose of my blog and the kind of things I could do, the first thing that I ended up doing is to the layout. I decidedly wanted a simpler and neater layout, that was less crowded.
Some of the changes
- I got a suggestion that the blog should not contain my name. I still kept it, because over the years, many people have associated my blog with the name ‘anandspeak’. But I did get a new tag-line for it. “LIVE SMART”. So, that’s going to be the focus of my blog.
- I will try to keep it simple and write about:
- Personal Finance
- Fitness routines and workout tips for everyday people who don’t want to become fashion models :).
- Some opinions and ideas to de-clutter your life (My inspiration in this area is Leo Babuata – of zenhabits)
- And last but not the least, the occasional rambling – after all this still IS my blog and I am allowed to blabber, once in a while 🙂
- A major change is that I switched from Blogger.com to WordPress.com. A little research revealed that wordpress certainly had prettier templates and a lot more features to exploit, when compared to Blogger.com (Even so, blogger has all my respects and I still run a couple of other blogs on blogger). One of the biggest feature is that I get to publish multiple pages, so I can actually distribute some static stuff across other pages, rather than cramming everything on the same front page.
Some of the “Work In Progress” items:
- I will play around with different templates in the next couple of weeks and then zero in on one.
- Need to update categories on the posts.
- Some of the links still point to the Old Blogger site. I need to change them
I hope you all like the new ‘anandspeak – live smart’ concept.
Do Share Your fantastic thoughts with me, by leaving a comment.