We live in times where 24hrs, just don’t seem to be able to accommodate our lives, effectively! And the most common area neglected is *>unfortunately<* our own well being. We try to squeeze in every little activity into our busy schedules, but most of us never even consider including that mundane, old fashioned thing, called exercise, in our calendars. The internet is virtually overflowing with articles about the virtues of working out, the benefits of exercise, how it will improve the quality of our lives, how it can reduce injuries, so on and so forth. But they all come with one small rider. "You got to move your butt, and exercise!". But then, isn't that the whole problem? Who's got the time to go a gym, workout there and then come back, freshen up, change and get on with life?? In this day and age of instant gratification and 2 minute noodles, here's a 2 minute workout, that you, hopefully, would find useful. Actually it is a 15 minute workout, containing 2 minute slots of activity, hence the (slightly misleading) title :-). What benefit can mere 15 minutes bring to me, you may ask. But I can tell you this, once you are on your way, you will truly have your heart rate elevated; and feeling really great about yourself!
Important Note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR. BEFORE YOU TRY TO DO THE SUGGESTIONS IN THIS POST, PLEASE CONSULT WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN/DOCTOR, REGARDING YOUR CURRENT STATE OF HEALTH AND WHETHER YOU ARE IN A POSITION TO TAKE UP ANY KIND OF EXERCISE/WORKOUT ACTIVITY.
Remember to warm up for about atleast 2-3 minutes that should include some amount of stretching / limbering up of muscles.
So without further ado, here’s how you do it:
1. Choose 5 of your favorite workout moves (Here are a few suggestions – feel free to add on to this list, if you like):
- On the Spot Marching
- Ab Crunches
- Bending sideways (stretch)
- Push Ups
- Jumping Jacks
- Pedalling in the air, lying down on your back.
- Dancing to your favorite song.
2. Do each of the above, for exactly 2 minutes By the watch. That adds up to 10 good minutes of ‘high intensity’ workout. In the beginning, do not worry about quantity (how many reps.) or the speed with which you do it. Just concentrate on doing it for the whole 2 minutes, even if you do it slowly. After the first couple of weeks, you can think about target setting.
I’d also like to add that 2 minutes may sound too trivial, but when you get on the job, you realize that 2 minutes take ages to get over!
3. Take a 1 minute breather, after each activity. During this minute, do nothing. Just breath deeply. Total of 5 such breaks adding up to 5 minutes.
4. The best way is to alternate the activity slots and the break slots. So you do 2 minutes of rigorous activity and take a 1 minute breather. It all adds up to 15 minutes, at the end of which, you would have had a great workout and will be feeling absolutely fantastic and ready to take on the day.
Just be careful about:
- Choosing the activity according to your current fitness levels. Don’t get over enthusiastic as it may result in an injury!
- Warm up well – atleast for 2-3 minutes.
- It is a good idea to consult your doctor, if you are working out for the first time in your life. Even otherwise, it is always a prudent thing to do, if you want to avoid incidents later on.
- Choose comfortable clothes, that don’t hinder free movement.
I am sure this is a small chunk of time, that we all should be able to spare from our busy schedules, (if not daily, then at least a couple of times in a week) and gain the benefits of a good workout.
Do share your own thoughts on the subject and I’d be glad to know if you found this suggestion effective for your lifestyle.
If you liked this post, I request you to book mark it in delicious and/or digg.